The Littleton/Englewood Wastewater Treatment Plant is the third largest Publicly Owned treatment Works (POTW) in the state of Colorado. The plant receives sewage from the cities of Englewood and Littleton, as well as from 19 connector districts within the 75 square mile service area of the cities. The plant is a large, advanced treatment plant required to exceed secondary treatment requirements by removing ammonia and nitrate from wastewater. The design capacity is 50 million gallons per day (mgd) and is presently treating 23 mgd. Click here to see a map of the service area for the plant.
Plant effluent is discharged to the South Platte River. The South Platte is the major watershed in the Denver Metro region. The watershed is a combination of pristine mountain areas, highly urbanized areas, and intense agricultural use lands. The river itself is a tightly controlled stream with water rights usually dictating the flow through the Denver area. The river channel as it currently exists has been modified by the addition of dams (e.g. Chatfield), hydraulic and diversion structures and is channelized in many areas. The result of these activities is a river and channel that bear little or no resemblance to the ‘natural’(pre-1880’s) South Platte River.
An Abbreviated PLANT HISTORY of the Littleton/Englewood Wastewater Treatment Plant
|The South Platte River||The Beginning|
|The Regionalization||Facility Expansion and Modifications|
|Administrative Penalty||A View to the Future|
|Plant Accomplishments||Regulatory Requirements|